Role and Functions of the R & D Cell
- Scheme of Grant-in-Aid for Research Projects in Open Schooling (GRPOS)
- Promotion of Open Schooling Programme in India
- Preparation and Operationalisation of the Centrally Sponsored Scheme for Promotion of Open Schooling
- Advocacy, consultancy and Resource Support to States for Upscaling of existing State Open Schools (SOSs) and setting up of SOSs in remaining States.
- Coordinating and clearing house functions in the context of promotion of Open Schooling programme in the States and networking among Open Schools in India.
- Reformulation of constitution of the National Consortium of Open Schooling (NCOS); organization of the Meetings of NCOS; and follow up action on recommendations of NCOS.
- Capacity Building of the Open Schooling functionaries in the State Open Schools.
- Preparation of Profiles of NIOS and SOSs.
- Providing forums for NIOS and SOSs to meet and exchange information and ideas (Conferences, Meetings, Workshops etc.)
- Organisation of the Meetings of the General Body, Executive Board and Sub-Committees of NCOS.
- Research and Evaluation Programmes
- Preparation of thrust areas of research in NIOS
- Formulation and Operationalisation of the Scheme of Grant-in-Aid for Research Projects in Open Schooling (GRPOS).
- Research at NIOS level
- Research Projects to be farmed out to other Organisation/Institutions.
- Monitoring of implementation of research programme sanctioned by NIOS.
- Evaluation of outcomes of the research projects submitted by NIOS.
4. Planning Monitoring and Evaluation of NIOS Programmes
- Preparation of Guidelines for Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation of NIOS Programmes
- Preparation of Schedule of the Programme Processing Committees of NIOS.
- Academic Council (AC)
- Advisory Board of Departments of NIOS (DABs)
- Advisory Committees of the Regional Centres of NIOS (RCACs)
- Research Advisory Committee (RAC)
- Open Schooling State Coordination Committee (OSSCCs)
c. Monitoring of Implementation of the Programmes of the Constituents of NIOS
- Assisting the Chairman, NIOS in Monitoring the Programmes of the Constituents:
- Through visits
- Through taking feedback from the Departments
- Advising the Departments/Units to take corrective measures whenever and wherever needed in case of delay or gaps on implementation of the approved programmes.
d. Preparation and Updation of the History of NIOS
e. Evaluation of Outcomes of the NIOS programmes
- Dissemination of the outcomes of the NIOS programmes into the education system through Journal, Magazine, News Bulletin, Meetings, Conferences etc.
f. Miscellaneous Programmes and Activities related to Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation.
5. Journal, Magazine, News Bulletin
- COMOSA Journal of Open Schooling (Half Yearly)
- Open Learning Magazine (Half Yearly)
- Open Schooling News Bulletin
6. Public Relations
- Interaction with the general public/prospective client groups regarding queries about NIOS policies and programmes.
- Liaison with the print and electronic media and ensure dissemination of information on NIOS.
- Preparation of press releases on activities and programmes of NIOS and dissemination of the same to the media.
- Co-ordinating the release of advertisements on NIOS.
- Preparation of the monthly NIOS News Bulletin.
- Co-ordination of the Mass Communication Course introduced at the Senior Secondary level.
7. International Relations
- Organisation of the Programmes and Activities of the COMOSA by NIOS in its capacity as the Secretariat of COMOSA.
- Liaison with the Commonwealth of Learning (COL) for Promotion of Open Schooling at international level.
- Liaison with other International Agencies (UNESCO, UNICEF, World Bank, UNDP) in the context of promotion of Open Schooling.
- Coordination and Clearing House Functions in the area of Open Schooling at international level.